Soul Shot #1: 7- MINUTES OF SOUL
Now you know I’m going to go h.a.m on this issssh right here right? Not because I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired but because it’s never going to get more clear about where we are in relation to the justice system. This is the quintessential “teaching moment” right before us.
Soul Shot #2: Republican ‘Abstinence-Only’ Crusader’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant
Cassidy has made a name for himself as somewhat of a “abstinence-only” crusader. Last year, he co-sponsored the Abstinence-Only Reallocation Act, which would award grants and special funding to public and private schools which stuck to teaching only abstinence instead of a more comprehensive lesson plan on sexual behavior.
Ha!!! Ok, how many times have we seen that those that preach and point the finger the hardest are the very ones that got more mess in their own backyards than the law would allow. This is the wisdom behind the African proverb “when you point a finger at me, there are three pointing back at you”.
Now, it appears Cassidy’s own daughter contributes to those statistics.
Who could have seen this coming? Oh, right, the scientists who study teen sexual behavior:
States that prescribe abstinence-only sex education programs in public schools have significantly higher teenage pregnancy and birth rates than states with more comprehensive sex education programs, researchers from the University of Georgia have determined.The researchers looked at teen pregnancy and birth data from 48 U.S. states to evaluate the effectiveness of those states’ approaches to sex education, as prescribed by local laws and policies.
“Our analysis adds to the overwhelming evidence indicating that abstinence-only education does not reduce teen pregnancy rates,” said Kathrin Stanger-Hall, assistant professor of plant biology and biological sciences in the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. [source]
Cassidy you’re a legislator so why don’t you get up on this law right here: What you resist, persist.
Soul Shot #3: White Man’s Burden
I tell you what- when so-called white males take to social media and start to exclaim these type of messages- you know for a fact that the days of racism are truly numbered. Take a listen:
27 Tips to being a better
1. Start with one person
2. Act locally, think globally
3. Be open!!….To anything
4. Listen to those that you want to help, they know what they want, you may not.
5. Update your opinions
6. Stick with truth and facts
7. Get the big picture, pay attention to details
8. Know your argument and your opponents
9. Define your terms and then open them up to debate
10. Have a worldview bigger than yourself
11. Look at things through a child’s eyes
12. Listen to what’s not being said
14. Replenish yourself with experiences
15. Network with like-minded people
17. Don’t forget kindness and humility
18. Remember that “different” doesn’t mean “wrong”
19. You don’t need to be right all the time
20. Don’t take yourself too seriously
21. Enjoy doing little things, they add up to make a whole
22. Don’t wait, do something now
23. BE ASSERTIVE
24. Do what you feel is right
25. Be AUTHENTIC
26. Question Authority
27. Do something, don’t just talk about it
28. Believe in the future you can make
29. Never give up!